After the successful launch last year, on 30 November ABTA will hold its second annual Over 50s Market in Travel conference in central London. This event focuses on the most effective ways of tailoring and delivering holidays for travellers over 50.
The conference will delve into the minds of the over 50s, exploring the general economics of the market as well as comparing how other industries reach this demographic. There will also be a particular focus on how travel companies can ensure vulnerable customers have a smooth and enjoyable holiday, boosting repeat customer bookings.
Here are our key learnings from the 2016 event.
- The over 50s are the last group to have fixed salary pensions – they collectively hold 80% of the wealth in the UK, are living longer and are becoming richer*. This makes them an important demographic that cannot be ignored by travel businesses.
- It’s vital that you re-think the older consumer – don’t just focus on one aspect of the marketing mix, plan how you would develop each factor to better reach the over 50s.
- The over 50s don’t wish to be defined by age – they would rather be defined by activities and interests and don’t want to be stereotyped.
- Two-thirds of over 50s like to book online – it’s now more important than ever to use the internet to provide customers with inspiration and information.
- Train your sales and marketing team to match the target market – ensure that the whole team understand their motivations and interests.
Why is it important for you to attend this year’s conference? The 2017 Over 50s Market in Travel conference will build on the 2016 event. Hear from a fantastic line up of speakers including, the Mature Marketing Association, Age UK, Saga Cruises, Kirker Holidays, Let’s Talk Ageing, CEBR, G Adventures and Intrepid, who will explore last year’s key learnings and give you practical tips on how to reach this lucrative market.
There are still places available for the conference on 30 November; to register please visit abta.com/events.
* Campaign 2017