Making travel accessible

    Travel can be challenging for everyone, but if you have any kind of disability you may be worried about getting the assistance you need. ABTA works with its Members and tourism suppliers worldwide keeping them up-to-date with the latest requirements and providing training and advice when needed.

    In this section you’ll find guidance on how to work with your travel provider to book appropriate holidays that meet your needs at every stage of the journey; as well as information about your legal rights.

    We know that it’s vital for customers to understand and make their own minds up about what assistance they will need, including getting adequate information about walking distances at airports or onboard large ships.

    We also know it’s vital to help customers provide the right information about their needs to the right people at the right time. That way our Members and those working in the travel industry don’t make assumptions about disabled customers. And you can enjoy a hassle-free holiday.

    Guidance for every step of your journey

    Our practical help offers advice and information for every stage of your journey: planning and booking before you go; the journey itself; accommodation and activities; travelling with mobility equipment; insurance and more.

    Each section outlines what you need to do, with a key points recap for quick reference – just click on the links below.

    For quick summary on what to look for when booking, or going on holiday, see our ten top tips.

    Planning your trip

    • Booking.
    • Choosing accommodation.
    • Transport on holiday.
    • Insurance.​

    Before you go

    The journey

    • Point of departure.
    • Mobility equipment.
    • Your seat.
    • Assistance dogs.

    The journey

    More Information

    If things go wrong in destination

    British nationals take many millions of trips overseas every year, most of which pass without incident. However, if you get into difficulty, such as falling sick, being a victim of crime or facing an emergency, go to the nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate. A directory of all overseas offices is on the FCO website. Your holiday rep, local guide, hotel or local police should also have this information.

    If you need help in a country where there’s no British diplomatic or consular office, you can get help from the diplomatic or consular office of another EU country. The UK also has informal arrangements with some Commonwealth countries, including New Zealand and Australia.