Airports without the hassle
Most people's holidays start on route to the airport, here are our tips to ensure your experience is hassle free!
1. Before you leave the house check that everyone has their passports, airline tickets, visas and insurance policies.
2. Pack light – travel with only hand luggage, it will save you both time at the luggage carousel and often money as you'll you won't have to put anything in the hold.
3. Make sure that any electronic items that you are carrying in your hand luggage are fully charged.
4. If you use medication carry a supply in your hand luggage.
5. Weigh your luggage before you travel so that you’re not hit with a hefty charge at check-in.
6. If you’re driving to the airport check that there are no road works and leave a little extra time if travelling at busy times of the year.
7. If you’re using public transport check for engineering works – they often take place on bank holidays and at weekends.
8. Book your airport parking in advance; it can be much cheaper. As can getting currency in advance, exchange rates for foreign money at the airport are often not that good.
9. Before you get to the security person take off your coats, jackets and belts, remove electronic items from their bags and covers. You can only take liquids in 100ml containers which must be placed in one clear plastic bag; some UK airports will supply these free of charge, but some airports will charge you for them.
10. If you’re travelling with small children bring along essential items such as nappies and wipes etc. and something to keep them entertained.
11. Don’t overdo the alcohol as airlines can refuse to let you on board the plane if they think you're drunk.
12. Don’t hog the overhead lockers by putting handbags and coats up there, put them under the seat in front – more people take suitcases as hand luggage and they'll need to be put in the lockers.
13. Finally, and maybe the most important of all, buy train and bus tickets in advance to avoid queues at busy times and at weekends where there may be fewer staff. Nothing is more annoying than missing your train after a long flight!
We have lots more travel tips to help you get the most our of your holidays!